Monday 18 March 2013

Combat Colin vs... Doctor Doom!?!


Back when Combat Colin was a regular strip in Marvel UK's Transformers weekly there were a few occasions when he met characters from the Marvel Universe. And why not? He was, at that time, a Marvel character and therefore part of that universe... at least as far as I was concerned. (A million Marvelites may disagree.) The story guest-stars another character of mine, - Macho Man, - who had previously appeared in his own strip in Marvel UK's Secret Wars comic.

Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to have Colin meet one of Marvel's super-villains, - no less than Doctor Doom! Here's the two parter that featured that brief encounter, from Transformers No.270 (19th May 1990) and No.271 (26th May 1990). 

And in panel three of that first part (above), you may notice that I drew a Desperate-looking character with massive arms and tiny legs nearly 20 years before a certain comic cowboy's revamp. Spooky coincidence!


After Colin's adventures concluded a year or so later, Marvel UK gave me the rights to the character, so these days he's not part of the Marvel Universe. He's now part of the Lewniverse. 

Um... okay. Maybe I'll call it something less egotistical.

7 comments:

Tiniebras said...

Gotta be the Yampyverse !

Lew Stringer said...

Ha! That'd be a good one but considering the number of people I confused when I published YAMPY TALES, perhaps it wouldn't work. ('Yampy' seems to be a local phrase. I had people calling it 'Yanty Tales', 'Yankee Tales', 'Yahtze Tales' and allsorts. :-) )

Peter Gray said...

The steamroller man is singing to the tune of Spider-man Spider-man

Really enjoying these clever and funny strips...
maybe Desperate dennis should of had a striped jumper..or spiky hair..

Lew Stringer said...

I wanted to keep it as close to Dan as possible so younger readers would get the parody. I thought exaggerating his body shape would be enough to distance it from Dan for legal reasons. Of course I didn't know that years later Dan would actually be revamped to look like that. :)

Anonymous said...

actually your "desperate dan" looked pretty good, maybe a little short in height. but he looked like a real tough man, not that doofus that dan ultimately turned into. i like it!

James Spiring said...

Funny that he mentions at the end about fighting Thomas the Tank Engine. I actually read the Thomas comic when I was little.

Lew Stringer said...

Thomas was published by Marvel UK at the time I drew the Combat Colin strip so I thought I'd give it a mention. That's back in the days when nursery comics featured specially commissioned strips of course, unlike most of the nursery mags of today using stock art.