Thursday 4 April 2013

Four forgotten strips

Click to see larger size.

I can usually remember most of the work I've done over the past 30 years but sometimes I'll stumble across pages that I've completely forgotten about. Case in point this page of four strips from Little Nipper comic. They're undated, but I think I drew them in the late 1980s or early 1990s. 

Little Nipper was a four page glossy A4 comic that was produced as a giveaway for kids riding on the 'Nipper' mini-buses for South Yorkshire Transport. I don't know who drew the cover strip.

Only pages one and two feature strips. Pages three and four being taken up by a competition. I know I definitely created the four strips shown above, wrote the scripts and drew the artwork, and Little Nipper was a one-off so they never appeared again. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share these obscure strips here. Unless you rode on South Yorkshire mini-buses one summer many years ago you've probably never seen them before! 


Artist unknown.

7 comments:

George Shiers said...

Excellent! I've never heard of that before - thanks for sharing it! Little Nipper on the cover looks strangely similar to Billy Whizz though...

Manic Man said...

Looks good. Sadly, some of the rare free comics had some great stuff which is not seen by many..

That Robot world seams very much Robo-Capers ^_^ which isn't a bad thing

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I did base Robot World on my Robo-Capers strip. You can never have too many robot gags. :)

I've no idea who drew the cover strip.

Peter Gray said...

Shows how great you our at the comic strip...shows why Rasher stands out by you..

I also though it looked like Billy Whizz!!

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Peter.

Yes, I think that other artist was definitely inspired by Billy Whizz there!

Tiniebras said...

Love the aliteration "Rick Rover", "Sporty Sue", "Greedy Graham". Is it just me that really wants Robot world to be called "Wobot World" ? :)

Lew Stringer said...

Ha! Yes I missed a trick there didn't I?