Friday 2 May 2014

Drawing Brickman, 1985


There's me on 8th September 1985, 26 years old drawing a Brickman story for Swiftsure No.6. 

Swiftsure was an independent anthology comic published by Martin Lock's Harrier Comics company. It did actually pay a page rate. Not as much as the big companies, but it paid. 

I was still living at my mum's house back then, in case you were wondering about the floral wallpaper! I used the spare room as a studio. Well, I say studio. A flat table to draw on, and the rest of the room piled up with comics. Different address now, and I have a proper drawing board, but I'm still surrounded by comics.

Want to see the story I was drawing that day 29 years ago? Here you go...



This strip and more can be seen in the Brickman Begins! book, available from my website. The book is advised for mature readers only as it's a bit rude in places:
http://www.lewstringer.com/page7.htm



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh that was a blast from the past, I had all but forgotten about Swift Sure and Harrier comics - I recall picking up quite a few of theses in the day and vividly remember an issue where you had a cover was it a character called Rock Solid - those were exciting days for fans and Im sure artists like yourself in the mid 80s with self publishing and small comic companies etc

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, Rock Solid, Space Hero. Hoping to reprint that this year.

They were good times. A lot of us were starting out in the industry back then and most of us knew each other from get-togethers at Westminster Marts, UKCAC etc so there was a good comradeship about it.

More comics around then too. At the same time I was doing Rock Solid and Brickman for indie company Harrier I was also doing Robo-Capers for Marvel UK. Back when Marvel were allowed to originate material in the UK of course!

George Shiers said...

Nice 2000AD pen holder - presumably a mug? :)

Lew Stringer said...

No it's a plastic beaker but I had a 2000AD sticker from some promo event and stuck that on. Added other stickers too over the years until it was smothered with various bits and bobs.