Saturday 3 October 2015

Brickman Update

All the orders for Brickman Returns! that I received last week have now been dispatched. The orders I've received today will be posted on Monday. Thanks to all of you who have bought copies. It's much appreciated. 

It just goes to prove that there is still interest in independent comics. Admittedly, Brickman Returns! is only a modest effort with a small print run, but there has been a steady stream of sales since it was launched on September 5th. And that's with no advertising except plugging it online in a handful of places, and selling it directly. (Copies are also still available at Nostalgia and Comics, 14  - 16 Smallbrook Queensway, Birmingham). 

Curiously there was some resistance from a few Christians concerned about the "Satanic content", ie: my Suburban Satanists strip which runs as a back-up in the comic. Subsequently some people have refused to buy it on those grounds without actually seeing the strip. I was quite staggered that a humour strip tacking the mickey out of an incompetent bunch of devil-worshippers would upset anyone, although there was a similar response in the 1990s when it appeared in Sweden and Norway. Personally I think the humour in Suburban Satanists is very mild, and I suspect the objectors may be imagining it to be more explicit than it is, but if that's their decision so be it. To be fair, no one has yet said it should be censored, they've just explained why they won't buy it, so I'm glad that at least they've offered their reasons and obviously they're not going to enjoy my daft comic if it makes them uncomfortable or fearful. It's not for me to argue against it as it's their choice and obviously they're entitled to that. However, I am continuing with my intention to publish the Suburban Satanists in their own comic early next year. 

Next Sunday, 11th October, I'll be a guest at Comic Con Leicester and will be bringing along a few copies of Brickman Returns! (and the previous collection, Brickman Begins!). Due to Sunday rail service I won't be arriving until about 11am but I hope to see you there!  
http://www.comicconleicester.co.uk/

If you haven't bought a copy of Brickman Returns! yet and you want to order one by post, you can do so from my online shop here:
http://www.lewstringer.com/page7.htm

2 comments:

Bruce Laing said...

I should be getting my copy sometine this week (from Tuesday at least, as Monday is a public holiday in my neck of the woods) provided there is no holdup at Customs.

Lew Stringer said...

I posted yours on Friday, Bruce, so it'll probably be later in the week when it arrives in Australia. Let me know if there's any problems with it.