Friday 1 January 2016

Resolutions for 2016

I'm not usually one to make New Year Resolutions but one thing I'm determined to do this year is get one or two more self-published comics in print. Brickman Returns! had a successful launch at Birmingham's International Comics Expo in September and sales were brisk afterwards, so I'd like to get more of my creator-owned characters back into print. I'm not sure which comic I'll be publishing first, but this is one likely contender...
That's just a teaser of course, and the logo design may change before publication, but hopefully in a few months I'll be launching Suburban Satanists No.1 at one of the comic shows I'll be attending this year. The format will be the same as Brickman Returns at 32 full colour pages on quality paper. The artwork is already drawn as the strips originally appeared in Sweden and Norway nearly 20 years ago, but I need to colour and re-letter 28 pages of strip (as they've never been published in English). That's going to take some time to fit in between my regular paying comics gigs so don't expect it too soon, but it will happen sometime this year. It's possible I may publish a different comic first, while Suburban Satanists goes on the back burner for a while but I'll keep you updated of developments on this blog so stay tuned. 

Naturally, my regular work on Toxic, Doctor Who Magazine and other titles has to take priority and I'll be updating you on those strips as always. I'm also attending several comic shows this year, drawing sketches and selling comics (and possibly prints too) so I hope to see you at those if you can make it. Here's the list of events I'll be at... 

London Film and Comic Con: Spring
27th and 28th February 2016
Olympia,
Hammersmith Road,
London
W14 8UX.


Cardiff Film and Comic Con
5th and 6th March, 2016
Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff.


The Birmingham Comics Festival
Saturday 23rd April, 2016 
Edgbaston Stadium, Birmingham.


Manchester Film and Comic Con
21st and 22nd May, 2016.
Event City.
Phoenix Way,
Barton Dock Road,
Urmston,
Manchester
M41 7TB.


Lancaster Comics Day
Sunday June 5th, 2016.
(Not much info about this so far so stay tuned!)


London Film and Comic Con
29th to 31st July 2016.
Olympia,
Hammersmith Road,
London
W14 8UX.


Bristol Comic Expo
Saturday August 6th, 2016.
Double Tree by Hilton,
Redcliffe Way, Bristol.

ICE (The International Comic Expo)
Saturday September 10th, 2016.
The Studio, Cannon Street, Birmingham.

3 comments:

Manic Man said...

yay ^_^ will look forward to it

Unknown said...

Hi Lew, great to see you attending so many shows this year. Do you find any dealers of vintage British comics exhibit at these fairs? I've had a stall at the London Comic Mart a few times in recent years but got the impression that the larger Conventions were more for the Marvel / DC side of things... Thanks, Phil

Lew Stringer said...

Hi Phil, It's rare to see anyone selling old British comics at these events. It's mostly indie comic creators selling new British titles, and exhibitors for film/tv memorabilia. I do wonder if there's a gap in the market for someone selling old UK comics though.