Wednesday 28 December 2016

Back in the BEANO!


The New Year issue of The Beano is in the shops today and I'm very pleased to say I'm back in the comic too. New runs of Pup Parade and Ivy the Terrible begin in this issue, and I'm doing the scripts and art for both. 

I thought you might like to see part of the pencil rough of a Pup Parade panel, compared to the finished art (before it was lettered by the Beano staff). I use Pentel blue 0.7mm pencil for the roughs, then ink it with Kuratake Mangaka Flexible pens and uniPin Fine Line pens. When scanned at the right adjustment, the blue line isn't picked up by the scanner, then after tidying up the image in Photoshop I then use that software to colour the strips. The finished job is then e-mailed to the Beano, along with another copy of my previously approved script, and the Beano letterers add the captions and dialogue balloons based on my script. Repeat the process for every strip, day after day. 

I'll go into more detail about the process in a future post if anyone is interested? In the meantime, don't miss The Beano No.3865, out today!


4 comments:

Manic Man said...

Looks good. I can't make clean enough ink lines to save my life so when I have to do art stuff, it's slow digital inking for me.. annoying but oh well.

Lew Stringer said...

It's all down to practice, Ryan, and using the right materials.

NP said...

Day after day is right!

Lew Stringer said...

It sure is, especially at the moment with the deadlines on the annual!