Monday 20 November 2017

Zoony: Roughs and finished art for TV21

I showed this earlier in the year but I thought I'd show it again, this time with the pencil roughs next to the finished inks for better analysis. Back in 2014, I was commissioned to write/draw a new Zoony the Lazoon strip for a one-off revival of 1960s classic comic TV21. (Zoony was the comedy relief character in Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL5, in case you didn't know.) The comic was part of a Supermarionation box set produced by Network, still available from them if you click this link:
http://networkonair.com/tv/2038-supermarionation-box-set-blu-ray- 


As TV21 was my favourite adventure comic of the 1960s it was an honour to be part of this new edition (issue No.243, following on from the sixties numbering). The original Zoony strips had run in the first year of TV21 in 1965 as "silent" stories free of dialogue, so I kept to that. Also for consistency, I scanned the original logo, cleaned it up, and put that on my strip. The old Zoony strips tended to have him in traditional slapstick situations but I couldn't resist the opportunity to incorporate Gerry Anderson related scenes, as part of Zoony's daydreams. 

I was pleased with the result, and proud to be a contributor to TV21 at last! You can read more about the contributions by other artists and writers by visiting this link:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/tv21-no243-return-of-yesterdays.html

No comments: